Your Guide to this Beautiful Story

Friday, December 24, 2010

A Basket of Blueberries and a Bushel of Memories.

"So then Becca told me that Jeremy actually does like me. So I decided to...", Calista was going on and on about how Jeremy was cute, but Jenna could care less. "Doesn't she know I am not listening?" Jenna thought while sighing. After a quick look at Calista, who was happily still going on and on about how beautiful Jeremy's eyes were, Jenna knew that she didn't. "... Then Jeremy told Becca that he wanted to ask me out", Calista said while flipping to the next page in her journal. She could have happily gone on about how cute Jeremy's smile was and how his blue eyes twinkled when he said her name, but Jenna was fed up.
"Could you please just shut up?" Jenna said while squeezing the bridge of her nose. Calista spun around to look at her sister, "What?" Jenna put down her pencil then and glared at Calista, "I said could you please shut up?" "What's gotten into you Jenna?" Calista said starting to get a little mad. "Nothing", Jenna mumbled; she decided to let it go. Better not risk a fight. "No", Calista said shoving her homework into her backpack, "Something has been up with you for the past few days Jenna; and, quite honestly, I am sick of it. So, when you have decided to tell me what is wrong come and get me. Until then, though, stay away from me." Jenna looked up to watch Calista walk off. Then in a wave of anger, Jenna called out, "What crawled up your butt and died?" From a distant room Jenna could hear Calista shouting, "You did!"
On the other side of the house Elizabeth was loving on Spear, "You are just so cute! I just want to hug you and kiss you and squeeze those little cheekies!" Elizabeth was busy basking in Spears cuteness when she heard a shout from the other room, "You did!" Elizabeth perked her head up to listen for another shout; but after a moment listening to silence she looked at Spear, "Your siblings are crazy". Spear just gurgled and blew a spit bubble, which made Elizabeth laugh. 
As the night went on, and Jenna and Calista cooled off, things went back to normal. "What was her deal?" Calista thought to herself while inspecting her painting. "I mean I did not say anything bad, unless... Does Jenna like Jeremy too?" Calista continued to paint for a minute before reasoning it out in her head, "No, there is no way she could like Jeremy. Then what's wrong?" As Calista finished her picture she brainstormed on ideas for what to do tomorrow, "There has to be some way to ask her without her getting mad or freezing up." 
Meanwhile Jenna was typing away on her computer, "I shouldn't have snapped at her like that, but she always annoys me." Jenna sat at the computer and then her typing started to slow, "I know she doesn't think it, but I am jealous of her. She has always been better at everything. After a while it just gets tiring..." Jenna slammed her laptop shut then, "It's not my fault she's prettier! Or smarter! Or that she is better at talking to boys! Or that I had to get glasses, and yet she can see perfectly... I just want to be better than her at one thing. Only one thing!"
At 6:06 a.m. on Saturday Elizabeth woke up to the chirping of birds. "What a perfect beginning to a beautiful day", Elizabeth said as she yawned. Elizabeth got out of her warm bed and shivered a little as she looked at Spear, "It must be close to winter, because it is freezing." Spear was so cute and precious as he cooed in his sleep.
Elizabeth turned toward her bed and started to make it as a huge grin spread across her face. Elizabeth had no clue why she was smiling, but she was just so happy, "It's true, today really is a beautiful day."
Elizabeth walked past her sleeping child and into her bathroom. As she walked to her mirror she listened to her feet make a pat-pat sound on the tiles. While Elizabeth looked at her reflection in the mirror she thought about how young she still looked, "I look the exact same way as I did when I was a teenager. It that really a good thing, though? Maybe it is time to change that."
Elizabeth finished up brushing her teeth and headed out her bedroom door. "Mom?" Calista called to her mother as she walked toward the stairs. "Huh?" Elizabeth answered as she spun to face Calista's direction.
"Calista? What are you doing up this early on a Saturday?" Elizabeth questioned as Calista stood from the chair she was sitting in. "I wanted to ask you something", she said while looking at her feet, which at the moment were nervously prodding at the floor. "Okay, ask away", Elizabeth said while smiling. She didn't notice how nervous her daughter actually was.
"I was just wondering... Do you think that maybe us girls could all go to the spa and get makeovers?" Elizabeth waited a moment and watched as her daughter's expression flipped between nervous and curious. "Sure", Elizabeth said with a smile, "I was actually just thinking about how I needed to change up my look..." Calista smiled as her mom went on to talk about how fun it will be, but she was too busy thinking to listen to her. Elizabeth noticed that Calista seemed preoccupied, so she asked, "What brought all of this on?"
"I just wanted to spend a day of fun with my sisters and mom that is all..." CalistaCalista's eyes, but then she went on to tell Elizabeth about the 'competition' that they had always had. Calista even told her about the little argument that they had had last night, "... I have no clue what happened; she just told me to shut up".
Elizabeth started to say, "Hunny, she was probably just having a bad day." When Calista cut in halfway through with, "Shhh! She is coming over here." Elizabeth looked over her shoulder, a little upset for being interrupted, and said, "Hey Jenna, come here."
"Yah Mom?" Jenna said while ignoring Calista's presence. "Calista had a great idea for all of us girls to get a makeover. Would you like to come with us?" Elizabeth said while gesturing over to Calista. Jenna unwilling looked at Calista while saying, "Sure. I have nothing better to do."
"It will be really fun", Elizabeth said trying to cheer Jenna up. "Yes, we can get our hair and nails done", Calista added in with a huge smile. Elizabeth could tell that Jenna really was ignoring Calista all together, not even acknowledging her when she spoke. "Calista what are you going to get done?" Elizabeth said trying to find reasons to get Jenna to speak to her sister.
"I am going to get my hair and make up done. I might even get a new outfit. What about you Jenna?" Calista asked. She knew what her mom was trying to do and joined in. Jenna ignored her sister as she looked to her mom, "You should probably go get ready. It would be nice to miss all the crowds; the spa gets rather busy in the afternoon." Then Jenna walked downstairs to get something to eat. Once Jenna's head disappeared behind the wall Calista turned to her mom, "It was worth a try..." Elizabeth could tell that Calista was hurt and a little sad, "Why don't you go get Spear up and ready while I get dressed?"
Once Elizabeth was ready, and Spear was up and dressed, the girls headed downstairs. "Ian could you watch the little ones while we go to the spa?" Elizabeth asked after finding her son playing chess with Mica. "Sure Mom", Ian said as he moved a chess piece. "Thank you", Elizabeth said while nodding her head to the living room, "The boys are in their play pen. They are both dressed and changed; they might get a little hungry in a little while."
Everyone turned their attention to Mica then, "That is not fair! I want to go with you too mommy!" Everyone was silent for a moment as Mica started to cry, "I did not get to go with you to the hospital and I never get to help you with dinner like the girls do. I want to go too..." "Honey, you do get to go", Elizabeth said as she knelt beside her daughter. Then, as she hugged her little girl, she decided to say, "We are all going to get makeovers; it is going to be fun." As all the girls headed out to the car, Elizabeth stopped right inside the door way and put her head in her hands as the thought, "What is going on with my children?"
As the girls all strode up to the spa they all started to get really excited... That is all, except for Jenna. "This is  going to be so much fun", Elizabeth said as she walked toward the glass sliding doors. "This is going to be fun", Mica said, trying to act like her mom, then she skipped after Elizabeth.
After their mom was out of hearing distance Jenna turned to Calista, "What are you trying to do with this 'girl outing'?" Calista put up one finger, signing 'one second', and waited until Mica was already through the doors before answering, "What do you mean?"
Without making eye contact Jenna stepped in front Calista, who was trying to go into the spa. "What do you want?" Calista asked as she turned to confront her sister. "I want to know why you planned this whole event", Jenna said while trying to look everywhere but at her sister. "I want to know what has been bothering you lately and what on earth it has do with me", Calista said as she walked around Jenna and into the spa. Jenna stood rooted to the ground with her mouth wide open, and thought "I wonder if they wound noticed if I just left now? Because I don't want her to know.... I guess the truth had to come out eventually." Then Jenna followed her sister into the heavily perfumed salon.
By the time every lash was curled and every lip was glossed it was getting dark outside. "Ugh", Calista said as they emerged out of the spa, "I have a headache from all of the perfume." Elizabeth and Mica turned to face Calista as they gathered their thoughts. After a moment of everyone rubbing their temples and smoothing every wrinkle Elizabeth spoke up. "Where is Jenna?" She asked as they walked toward the street.
"I'm not sure", Calista said to her mom with a smile, "Last I saw of her she was putting on contacts." Elizabeth made a mental note to order more contacts while she looked at Calista. Calista had decided to straighten her hair and pull her bangs back into a clip. Other than that, though, she didn't get much done. "Best not to mess with perfection", were the words she had used while talking to the stylist.
Elizabeth on the other hand watched as the stylist pulled her hair out of it's usual high, messy bun. She also watched as her hair fell to her shoulders in a waterfall of curls. She even watched as the stylist started to snip away at her bronze locks. Elizabeth did not mind, though, she loved her new look. She especially loved her new outfits that she had bought.  "Contacts?" Elizabeth asked while looking back into the salon, "Oh! Here she comes." Then they all turned and watched as Jenna walked towards them.
Jenna stepped warily out of the salon, she was still getting used to wearing contacts, and stopped when she noticed everyone was staring at her, "What? Do I look stupid..." When nobody answered her she started to get worried and she started to move around a lot and started fidgeting, "... because I told the stylist that it was too much... You know what I am just going to tell her to fix everything back to the way it was." Then she turned and started to walk back into the salon.
Calista spoke up then, "Oh my gosh! Stop right there and let me take a mental picture!" Jenna did stop too, and she turned to face everyone.
Jenna watched as everyone's expression changed, going from: shocked, worried, and then finally happy. Jenna's hair had been taken out of it's usual pig tails and let fall in blond curls to just below her chest. Her silver glasses were taken and she was given contacts. Then the rest was a cake walk; her natural beauty just took over.
 Jenna walked over to where everyone was standing as Elizabeth asked, "You look so beautiful! Do you like it?" Then a rush of words flowed out of Jenna mouth so quickly that all you could catch was, "I love it... and the stylist even... I got new clothes... Thank you for letting us do this Mom!" Everyone just continued to stare at Jenna as she took a few deep breathes and calmed herself. "I am glad you like it", Elizabeth said to all of her children, "How about we go home now and get something to eat. I am starving!"
As all her kids started off towards the car Elizabeth stayed behind, "Calista come here for a moment." Calista turned to her mom and asked, "Yah?" Elizabeth watched as Jenna and Mica hopped into the car, "Do you think maybe you could drive everyone home? I have something I want to do." Surprise flashed in Calista's eyes, "Sure, but how are you going to get home?" "A taxi", Elizabeth said as she handed Calista the keys to her car.
Elizabeth surprised her daughter by suddenly throwing her arms around her and squeezing her, "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Calista laughed nervously before walking towards the car. Elizabeth waved as her kids drove past, and she laughed at Jenna and Mica's expressions of uneasiness and curiousness. Then as her car vanished into the distance she started toward Daniel's house.
"So we meet again", Elizabeth muttered under her breath at Daniel's front steps. She walked across the creaky front porch and rang the door bell; all the while going through a checklist in her head and making sure Daniel did not work again that night. Elizabeth's worries were calmed as Daniel opened the door, smiled, and told her to come in.
"Hey", Elizabeth said as she followed Daniel into the warmth of the house. Compared to the coolness of the setting sun, Daniel's house felt so warm and inviting. "Hi", Daniel said while turning to face his wife. "Just thought I would stop by and ask your opinion on my new look", Elizabeth smiled as she motioned towards her new outfit.
Daniel gave Elizabeth a once over, essentially checking her out, and said with a smile, "I think you look great... I always think you look great." The world seemed to stop as Daniel took one step closer to Elizabeth, and then another. Elizabeth could feel heat radiating from Daniel's chest as she tilted her head up to return his kiss.
Elizabeth's breathing sped up and her heart pounded in her chest. Butterflies seemed to fill her stomach to it's fullest content. Then her heart started to pound for another reason as Daniel pushed her away.
Elizabeth's cheeks flushed a bright red, perfectly matching her shirt, as Daniel said, "No, I cannot do this until I tell you what I need to tell you." Elizabeth threw up her arms defensively as she said, "Hey! You are the one who kissed me..." Then Elizabeth started to brace herself for the hurt. She dropped her eyes to the ground as she thought, "Everything was going so well, please do not hurt me again..."
It was quite for only a few seconds, but they seemed like an eternity to Elizabeth, "What is wrong?"
Daniel looked at Elizabeth then with sadness and whispered, "Where does this leave us?"
"What do you mean?" Elizabeth asked as she searched Daniel's eyes for some type of understanding. As Daniel started to speak Elizabeth watched hurt flash through his eyes, much like the hurt that Elizabeth knew was showing on her face.
"I mean where does all of this, everything that has happened, leave us?" Daniel said with a defeated expression, as his eyes started to water he whispered, "I'll understand it if you don't want to be my wife anymore." Elizabeth stood in front of Daniel, who was quietly crying and trying to hide it, in astonishment. "You think I do not love you anymore?" Elizabeth said while trying to make Daniel make eye contact. Daniel finally looked up and said, "Of course. I yelled at you and made you feel horrible... All just because you are following your dreams." Elizabeth laughed then and made Daniel look at her, "I still love you silly." Then as Elizabeth breathed a sigh of relief she said, "I thought you were going to tell me you did not love me anymore."
"Why would I do that?" Daniel said as he wiped the last tear away. "I'm not sure", Elizabeth said feeling a little silly, "I just had a weird feeling like something was going to happen."After a moment of exchanging smiles, and laughing for crying, Daniel cut through the silence, "So, should I move back in tomorrow?" Elizabeth was about to nod and happily say yes when reality set in.
"Darn it I always ruin everything!" Elizabeth said while throwing a minor tantrum. Daniel watched as Elizabeth stomped her feet and shook her fist in frustration. Finally he cut in, "Um... I'm confused." Elizabeth seemed to snap back to reality and she started to straighten herself out while saying, "You cannot move back in." Daniel looked hurt for a moment before realizing what she was saying, "... Because of the challenge?" "Yah. I need as much room in the house as I can get", Elizabeth said feeling bad for ruining things, and then she started to get mad, "It is not my fault, though, it is sim law that only eight sims can live in a house." 
Then Daniel grabbed Elizabeth hands, which were still tightly clenched into fists, and he started to sway back and forth, "It is okay Elizabeth. I know that you are mine, and that we still love each other; so that is enough, the rest I can handle."
Then Daniel pulled Elizabeth close and whispered, "Now back to that kiss."
After everything was said and done Elizabeth looked at the clock on Daniel's wall, "Oh. I need to get home." Daniel looked at the clock too before saying, "Yup... I love you." Elizabeth blushed and said, "I love you too."
Meanwhile back at home:
Jenna was busy inspecting her new look from every angle when Calista spoke up from behind her, "You really do look good you know..." "Yup", Jenna said, and then as she caught Calista's expression in the mirror she spun around to face her sister. 
"So you never found out what you wanted to know", Jenna said while trying to distance herself from Calista. "Yah", Calista said defeated, "I guess I will never know." "I never said I would not tell you", Jenna cut in when she realized just how hurt her sister was. 
"I just want us to be friends again", Calista spoke up. She looked so hurt and sad that Jenna decided to tell her what has been distancing them.
Jenna told Calista all about how she has felt like she has always been in her shadow; and how she has never felt like she was good enough. Calista just stood there nodding understandingly. After Jenna finally got everything out Calista decided to speak up, "That was it? Jenna... I have never... ever felt like I was better than you. You could tell Mom the same thing and she would agree with me. You are perfect and special... and sometimes I wish I was you."
Jenna smiled and then she just threw her arms around her sister. "I'm sorry I called you stupid", Jenna said while squeezing Calista. "I'm sorry I never just asked you what was wrong", Calista whispered. 
 When Elizabeth finally got Home:
Elizabeth had dinner all cleaned up and then she decided to join Mica on the couch, "Hey Mica!" Mica was focused on the television, but she managed a, "Hi Mom." "So, hunny, did you enjoy the makeovers?" Elizabeth said while trying to understand what the show was about. "I actually did", Mica said finally looking at Elizabeth. "Even though you do not match me?" Elizabeth said. At the salon the stylist fought with Mica for a good twenty minutes about showing individualism and about how she does not need to match her mom perfectly. "Actually I do. I realized that you would love me no matter what; and, even if I do not match you, I am still your little mini-me", Mica said while having a sort of epiphany.
Elizabeth was still trying hard to figure out what was going on in the show when Mica cut through her concentration, "When did Blake learn how to walk?" 
Elizabeth looked down as Blake said, "Mommy up!"
Elizabeth laughed as she pulled Blake onto her lap, "Hello baby number six." Then, as her words started a domino effect in her mind, Elizabeth called out, "Kids! Family meeting!" Mica just watched her mom as she waited patiently for all of her children to gather in the living room.
As Jenna and Ian talked about what on earth this meeting was about Elizabeth cleared her throat, thus signaling the beginning of the meeting. "So I just wanted to tell everyone about tomorrow." "Are you going to find the next challenge daddy?" Mica asked while turning to Elizabeth. "Are we moving again?" Calista asked a little wearily, "Because we just moved."
"Nothing of the sort", Elizabeth said while pausing to see everyone's reactions, "You all are going to age up tomorrow."
The next Day:
It was Sunday at 11:00 a.m. and Elizabeth was setting up for the party. Elizabeth was startled when a man's voice came from behind her, "Hey there good looking." Elizabeth spun to look at the intruder when she just laughed. "Hey", she said through chuckles as she pulled the man into a hug.
"What are you doing here so early?" Elizabeth said as she checked her watch, "The party does not start for another hour." "Well", the person said as he cleared his throat, "I have something important to tell you, and I think it is best to tell you about it privately."
"Well... What is it Ryan?" Elizabeth said. She was mentally freaking out and running through all these different scenarios in her head, "What could be wrong?" "After I moved out I got a job at the fire station..." Ryan said before going off into a long story.
"... So we went to the art museum and I met a girl there named Lindsey..." Ryan said while going through all his memories in his head. Elizabeth watched as her son's eyes got a little glazed over and he seemed to slip into a different world. The world of his thoughts.
 "... Mom she is beautiful, and perfect, and she makes me smile all the time... Without even trying. Whenever I am around her I get this feeling like nothing bad can ever happen."
When Ryan stopped for a breath Elizabeth stepped in, "It sounds to me like you are in love." "I am... I am!" Ryan said while throwing up one finger, "I think she is the one. She has already moved in and I have bought a ring... I am going to ask her next week at her art show."
Elizabeth's mind flipped to Daniel and how much she loves him; and how she would never step between someone and them getting to feel love. So she stepped forward and hugged Ryan, "I am so happy for you!" "I am too Mom", Ryan said while returning the hug.
 The party started at 12:00 p.m. and was a blast. It was just a small family gathering with only the challenge fathers and the challenge babies, but it was so much fun. 
It was about 1:16 p.m. when Elizabeth decided to start aging up all of the kids. "Are you ready to let him grow up?" Elizabeth said with enthusiasm. She was so excited to see if Spear got Pepper's hair and eyes.
"You know it!" Pepper said returning Elizabeth's enthusiasm.
To Elizabeth and Pepper's happiness Spear got Pepper's hair, eyes, and skin. "He is so adorable!" Elizabeth squealed over the music. "He looks just like me", Pepper said while getting a little sentimental. 
Blake was next to age. His eyes darkened to match his father's and his hair was cut short. "It kept getting in my eyes", Blake said when asked about his short locks. He was adorable, and tan, and he did look a lot like Zane and Elizabeth. He was a perfect mixture.
Then went Mica. As soon as the sparkles of aging cleared she sprinted to a mirror, "YES! I look just like Mom!" Mica was a spitting image of Elizabeth and was so happy about it. She had Elizabeth's hair, eyes, skin, and facial features.
Then went the triplets. Calista looked like Elizabeth, other than her bright green eyes and soft muscle structure. Jenna on the other hand looked nothing like either of her parents. She pulled her hair into a side braid and she had no muscles in sight. Then there was Ian... He had crazy, unruly hair and he was stick thin. None the less, though, they were all gorgeous in their own ways.
It was around 8:00 p.m. and all the party guest had left when the triplets all gathered next to the door. Jenna turned to her siblings, "Should we go ahead and go? The realtor said that the house was ours." "Yah", Calista said while looking over her childhood home, "I am going to miss this place." "We aren't dying", Ian said, adding his usual commentary, "We are just moving across town." "Should we tell mom that we are leaving?" Jenna said, ignoring her brother. "Nah", Calista said turning for the door, and then after a moment of thought she called out, "Mom! We are leaving."
"Okay", they heard Elizabeth call from the back porch. With that they all sprinted out the door, each calling, "I love you."
On the Other Side of the House:
"Love you all too", Elizabeth called, "Good luck!" Elizabeth continued on cleaning; and then, after a few moments of just the clinging of dishes and her own thoughts, she stopped.
"What just happened?" Elizabeth said while walking the last dish into the kitchen, "When Ryan left it hurt so much, and I was so sad. Yet the triplets just left and it did not effect me." Then as she walked towards the dish washer she thought, "Maybe I just somehow realized that this is going to happen a lot and I am just going to have to deal with it... Or maybe, since Ryan came to visit, I now know that it is not going to be too long before I see them again."
"Still", Elizabeth thought while putting the dish into the last open spot on the bottom shelf, "I feel like I cannot breath." Then, as the feeling of claustrophobia crept in all around her, she sprinted outside to the back yard. 
"This is not helping", Elizabeth said aloud when she finally came to a stop in front of the pond. Elizabeth let her feet carry her, without thinking, after she ran out the back door. Elizabeth watched the water as fog started to slowly creep towards her, "How do I always end up here?"
Elizabeth watched the fog get closer and closer as she started to get cold. Shivering, while her teeth were chattering, she let her eyes drop to the water at her feet.
Elizabeth noticed something in the water, "What is that?" Elizabeth's eyes focused as she slowly lowered herself to get a better look.
"Is that a... a present?" Elizabeth said as she tried to focus harder. "It is!" Elizabeth said as she straightened herself out, "What is a present doing at the bottom of my pond?!"
Without another thought Elizabeth ran inside and put on her bathing suit. Then by the time she got back to the pond the fog was thick and heavy. As Elizabeth walked towards the water's edge the fog lapped at her legs and then swirled away as she made a step. "Why am I doing this?" Elizabeth said as she felt for the water with her feet, and then as her toes touched liquid she whispered, "I cannot even see the bottom anymore."
As Elizabeth pushed off of the ground she closed her eyes tight and waited for the freezing water to envelop her. When the surface of the crisp water finally broke under her feet she was surprised at the warmth of the water. If she did not know any better she could have sworn it was a heated pool, or even a bath tub. 
As soon as Elizabeth's head went below the surface she started to swim down. She remembered back to her last visit with the cursed water and remembered how deep it was. She felt along the bottom of the rocks for the gift. "The stones feel different this time", Elizabeth thought as the rocks moved under her finger tips. Then suddenly, as she ran out of breath, her hand touched the hardness of the gift. 
Elizabeth gripped the box tightly and pushed off of the bottom. As soon as she could feel she cool night air on her face she took a deep breath... and then another. She threw the box out of the water, and then listened as it hit the side of the house. Then she felt, with now cold fingers, for the side of the pond and pushed herself out of the water. Then, without another look back, she ran toward her house. 
After Elizabeth had gotten out of the warmth of the water she realized just how cold it was outside. So, as she nearly shivered to death, she sprinted inside while somehow still managing to pick up the box where it laid next to the door. Then she sprinted upstairs to her room and jumped in the bath. After she soaked in the tub, for about twenty minutes, she decided that she was as warm as she could get and hopped out. She then got dressed and after that she knelt next to the box, which was laying on the floor next to her bed, and ripped open it's wrapping. Once the deed was done she was left with a white box with a sparkly gold heart on it. She slowly opened the box, afraid with what was inside, and then felt dumb about being so scared of it. All that was in the box was a wind up whale, much like the one that Blake was playing with earlier that day. 
Elizabeth picked up the tinker toy from it's spot on her night stand and put it into the corner of her room. "For some reason you give me the creeps", Elizabeth said to the inanimate object as goose bumps rose on her arms. 
Elizabeth sat down on the other side of her room and stared at the toy, "Why on earth does it seem so familiar?" Elizabeth sat in that spot for almost an hour trying to remember her past, which she had often tried so hard to forget. Then suddenly, as it always did, she felt the stranger's presence. Elizabeth jumped out of the chair and sprinted down the hall. She suddenly felt the need to be with her kids and make sure they were safe.
They were all fine, so Elizabeth went back to her room and put the whale back onto her side table. Then she snuggled down into her warm and inviting sheets. The moment her head hit the pillow she was asleep.
Elizabeth woke up at 7:00 a.m. on Monday and decided to make Eggs Machiavellian for breakfast. "Gee Mom", Blake said after politely swallowing his food, "These eggs are great!" "Thank you Blake", Elizabeth said with a smile. "Hey Mom?" Mica asked after watching Elizabeth get up from the table.
"Yah hun?" Elizabeth said while walking her dish to the dish washer. "Who is the next dad for your challenge?" Mica asked before taking another bite of egg. Elizabeth nearly dropped her plate onto the washer rack. Elizabeth straightened the dish out before answering, "I almost forgot about the challenge... How could I forget about the challenge?" Elizabeth stood stunned while Mica slid in and put her dish into the dish washer. "Oh well. I'm sure whoever you find will be great", Mica said while kissing her mom on the cheek, "Off to school". Then her and Blake ran out to the bus.
After those two left for school Spear woke up at 8:50 a.m. So Elizabeth went and got him dressed, fed, and happy. "Spear we have a lot to do today", Elizabeth said while making a check list in her head. After Spear got his play time in Elizabeth brought him into her office and she got onto her laptop, "Who is the next dad going to be?" Spear got up from his spot then and crawled toward the wall with all the possible dads on it. 
Elizabeth walked over and started looking at the board too. After a minute or two of searching the board her eyes caught sight of a very interesting looking man. "Good job Spear!" Elizabeth said complementing her little man. "Him it is!" Then Elizabeth scooped Spear up and headed off to the 100 Baby Challenge Mom's house.
When Elizabeth got to the challenge house all the mom's were busy doing there everyday things. Elizabeth walked in and was greeted by Vanessa. "Hey Nessa!" Elizabeth said excitedly. "Hey Liz", Vanessa said while smoothing down a hair that wouldn't stay in place, "How are you?" "I'm great", Elizabeth said over Spear's loud roaring, "Just decided to stop by and see how everyone was doing." "We are all doing great", Vanessa said while turning to Spear, and then in a matronly tone said "Playing lion today are we?" "Yah", Elizabeth said while giggling, "He started doing that yesterday... I think Blake taught it to him."
Elizabeth and Vanessa talked for a long time when Elizabeth noticed Cadence and Leiah talking. "I just realized that Della is not here", Elizabeth said while scanning the court yard. "Yah", Vanessa said with a huge grin, "She moved out and is now living with her husband." Elizabeth stopped for a moment and then got really excited, "She's married? That's great!" 
After Elizabeth left the challenge house she went straight over to meet the next dad. At 1:04 p.m. Elizabeth walked up to, yet another, swamp house. Elizabeth had just moments ago sprayed on her delicious perfume, but right then she couldn't smell it. Instead she smelled something else, "Is that blueberries?" 
"Actually it is", a man said as he stepped out from behind a huge rock. Elizabeth jumped nearly 4 feet and was calming herself as she choked out, "You must be Blue." The man chuckled as he stepped forward, "Way to state the obvious." Elizabeth had to think a while before getting his joke, "Oh no! I just meant that is your name right? Blue... Blue Berry?" 
"Yes", the man said with a huge grin, "My name is Blue Berry. Are you Elizabeth?" Elizabeth smiled as she realized that he had been anticipating this day, "Yup." "Well then let's go get started", Blue said while starting towards his house. Elizabeth was caught a little off guard at his urgency to take part in the challenge, but she happily agreed and followed him.
Elizabeth followed Blue into his house and, as Blue went to get something to drink, she set Spear down onto the floor. "Now you go play hunny," Elizabeth said while smoothing down Spear's cool green hair, "This shouldn't take too long." As Spear crawled off to play Blue walked up behind Elizabeth, "Should I take that as an insult?" 
"No", Elizabeth nearly squeaked out. She was so embarrassed she had not meant to insult Blue; she was just trying to sooth Spear's whimpers. Blue just laughed and said, "It's okay. I was just trying to be funny." Elizabeth laughed nervously as she scratched the back of her neck as she always did.
"So..." Blue thought out loud, while also trying to add some conversation, "Why did you chose me?" "Well", Elizabeth said while trying to avoid another awkward silence, "For one your skin."
"Go on", Blue said while stepping closer to Elizabeth. "Well also your hair", Elizabeth said while looking into Blue's eyes. 
Then he stepped a little bit closer. "And your eyes", Elizabeth said as she turned on the charm. She knew that the Eye Candy moodlet was going off in Blue's head.
Then Blue stepped one more step closer and kissed Elizabeth. The kiss was sweet... but very short. Only a peck basically, and then Blue was started towards his bed. 
Elizabeth scooted onto his bed and said, "Do you know all the rules? You cannot..." Elizabeth started to read the rules when Blue cut in, "No need to read me the riot act."
Then at 3:50 p.m. the lullaby chimed softly in the air. 
When Elizabeth got home she found Blake and Mica doing their homework. "Look at my little angels!" Elizabeth exclaimed while tickling Spear. "How did it go Mom?" Mica asked while scratching her head over a geometry problem. "Mission accomplished", Elizabeth said while digging through the fridge for a bottle for Spear. "Congrats", Mica said while excitement bubbled in her chest. She knew that this meant that she would soon have a little sibling to swoon over. "What's going on?" Blake asked, not getting the conversation playing out in front of him. Elizabeth and Mica just stared wide eyed at each other before bursting out laughing. 
After everyone's chuckles quieted Elizabeth put Spear down for a nap. Then she settled down onto the couch and turned on the kid's favorite show. She even turned on the CD that Blake had gotten for his birthday. Elizabeth really wanted multiple little babies this time. The house felt empty without the triplets there.
After his nap Elizabeth decided to Teach Spear how to Talk. "Can you say Mommy?" Elizabeth asked while holding her breath. "Mama", Spear said right before Elizabeth clapped with joy. "That's my little boy!" Elizabeth said while starting to get a little teary eyed. Meanwhile Spear was laughing at Elizabeth's previous clapping.
Then, after Spear finally learned how to talk, he moved on to playing with his blocks. "You are so cute Spear!" Elizabeth said just before a wave of nausea took the words from her mouth.
At first Elizabeth was annoyed with the nausea and dizziness when suddenly she started smiling. "I'm pregnant!" she practically screamed in her head.
The smile was quickly wiped away, though, when she finally reached the toilet.
After Elizabeth could finally see only one of everything, and she did not want to puke at every little smell, she brushed her teeth. Then she headed out to the garage to clean. "Kids are so messy..." Elizabeth said while shoving two cans and a magazine into a garbage bag. "Mama", Elizabeth heard a soft voice from behind her. "Spear?" Elizabeth spun to see Spear waddling towards her, "When did you learn how to walk?" After Elizabeth scooped Spear into her arms she took him inside and started dinner. 
Day One of the Pregnancy- Tuesday:
The first day in the pregnancy went a little slowly for Elizabeth. Nothing really happened, but to Elizabeth that was a good thing. 
Early in the morning, after all the kiddies left for school Elizabeth sat down in the children's play room and watched some more child's shows. Spear had a blast playing on the blocks table.
Elizabeth's fun did not last long, though, because the T.V. broke. The noise was so annoying and loud that Elizabeth could not stand it; so she decided to call someone to come fix it.
Elizabeth would have called Daniel, but his hours got changed again. So Elizabeth settled with the local electrical company coming out to fix it.
Elizabeth was surprised when she started to get nauseous again at 2:00 p.m. and even more shocked when she got sick, yet again, at 6:03 p.m. "What is going on?" Elizabeth asked herself while brushing her teeth.
When Elizabeth came out of the bathroom she found her kids, once again, doing their homework. "What do you all want for supper?" Elizabeth asked while trying not to get sick again. "Why don't you chose, Mom?" Mica asked, trying to be nice. "Trust me hun... I'm not hungry", Elizabeth said while rubbing her stomach.
Day Two of the Pregnancy- Wednesday:
 The second day of the pregnancy did not go much more interesting than the day before that. Elizabeth had another run in with the pond later in the day, though, and that... that was creepy.
Elizabeth woke up early and decided to make french toast. Elizabeth was lost in baking when the kids left for school. "They did not get to even eat breakfast", Elizabeth said while watching the kids run out the door, and then while shrugging she said, "Oh well." Then Elizabeth took a plate for herself and put the rest in the fridge.
Elizabeth got Spear up at 8:54 a.m. and then she decided to go ahead go visit Dr. Blueflame. "It is early in the pregnancy", Elizabeth said to Spear as she got him dressed. Elizabeth was feeding Spear his breakfast when she felt a sudden pain in her back, "Ouch... My back is killing me. This pregnancy sure is being a pain in the butt." Elizabeth laughed to herself then and said, "Actually more of a pain in the back."
It was 9:50 a.m. when Elizabeth finally knocked on Dr. Blueflame's door. "She is going to be surprised to see you", Elizabeth said to Spear while waiting for Dr. Blueflame to invite her in. Elizabeth listened as Dr. Blueflame struggled with unlocking the dead bolt on her door. It click-clicked and then Dr. Blueflame peaked her head around to make eye contact with Elizabeth. "Hey Elizabeth", and then she flung the door open, "and you brought little Spear!"
"He is just so cute", Dr. Blueflame said while watching Spear stare off into space. "He looks just like his dad", Elizabeth said with a grin. Elizabeth always got a chill when she talked about the challenge dads. Though she had been doing the challenge for a while she could never imagine the dad as anyone other than Daniel.
"He sure is cute", she said while looking at Spear. Then Dr. Blueflame looked at Elizabeth, "Who is the dad? Maybe I know him." Elizabeth felt a little awkward then; maybe it was because she did think of Dr. Blueflame as a mom, and you just shouldn't talk about stuff like this with your mom. "It is Pepper Mint. He lives near Zane Featheren", she said while looking at Spear. "I have no clue who either of those men are", Dr. Blueflame said while laughing at herself. After her laughing died down she asked, "Has anything new happened?"
Spear watched as his mom talked about the triplets moving out and the creepy gift she had gotten. "It was just sitting there", Elizabeth said while reliving that night in her head, "Under the fog and the water." 
"Do you know who it was from?" Dr. Blueflame asked while rubbing the goose bumps that had started to form on her arms. Elizabeth laughed, then she said, "I have no clue actually... It felt so familiar though." "This is not good", Dr. Blueflame said with a sigh. "Why?" Elizabeth laughed nervously. "If this was a stalker and you accepted the gift, like you did, they take it as a good thing. They will keep giving you gifts", Dr. Blueflame said while thinking about the documentary she had watched on stalkers. Elizabeth just laughed at Dr. Blueflame for being dorky before saying, "I do not think I actually have a stalker." 
"Just promise me you will keep both eyes open", Dr. Blueflame said in a serious tone. "Okay", Elizabeth said. She was amazed at how much Dr. Blueflame had started to turn into the mom she never had. Then Elizabeth watched Spear pick something up off the floor then. She watched as Spear started to put it in his mouth, "No Spear. That is gross." Elizabeth got off the couch then and took, whatever it was, away from Spear.
Dr. Blueflame jumped up from the couch, then, following Elizabeth's lead, "Do you want me to check out the baby?" "Sure", Elizabeth said getting side tracked by her joy. "Well", she said while straightening up from checking Elizabeth's stomach, "I cannot tell the gender yet, but I can tell you are having more than one baby." 
Elizabeth thanked Dr. Blueflame for her time and went on to the spa. "I am sorry for the smell Spear", Elizabeth said as the perfume wafted towards her, "My back just hurts so much." Elizabeth got a massage to sooth her pain. It, luckily, did the trick and soon Elizabeth and Spear were on their way home.
By 4:00 p.m. Elizabeth had gotten a, then fussy, Spear down for a nap and she was on to gardening. She had gotten a good harvest this time around and she was not going to let it go to waste. "Just got to get this apple", Elizabeth said while struggling to reach the top branch. While Elizabeth was reaching she caught sight of some movement out of the corner of her eye. Elizabeth flipped her head over to see the pond covered in fog. "What in the world?" Elizabeth said while getting a huge case of the heeby jeebies. Elizabeth gave up gardening then and started to walk towards the pond.
"Fog?" Elizabeth said while scuffling closer to the pond, "At this time?" Elizabeth stopped a good ten feet from the pond; she was not going to get any closer to that water. "Where did this pond come from anyways?" Elizabeth asked herself while thinking back on her first day with the pond. "It was not here when I first came to see the lot", Elizabeth reasoned finally, "... and I certainly did not ask for the construction workers to build this cursed thing."
Elizabeth was about to step closer to the pond when the babies started to kick, "You are right my little berries; that would be a bad idea."
The day went on and Elizabeth went about her normal routine. She got Spear up from his nap and then she started dinner, while also making sure the kids did their homework. "The days are getting colder", Elizabeth noted while giving Spear some dinner, "It must be winter!" Elizabeth was right too. The days have been growing shorter, getting darker sooner and brighter earlier, and not to mention a lot colder. "I love winter", Elizabeth said as Spear ate a big bite of his food, "It's my favorite season."
As the day had gone on Elizabeth had tried very hard to forget about the pond, but it kept nagging at her. The idea that someone had built a pond in her yard, for no reason at all, really freaked Elizabeth out. Even as Elizabeth was talking to Spear about winter the pond was still lingering in her mind.
Spear was still happily enjoying his food when Elizabeth's back started to hurt again, "What is going on? I got a massage and everything... That was the most wasted money I have ever spent!"
"Ugh..." Elizabeth said as she rubbed her sore back, "Nothing I can do about it now." Then Elizabeth turned to face her little man, who was oblivious to everything, "Are you ready for bed?"
Elizabeth finally got to bed around 1:13 a.m. and she was exhausted. Between endless loads of chores and having to stop and rub her back every ten minutes she was so tired that she could have slept on the kitchen table. Finally, though, Elizabeth made it to the comfort of her bed. Elizabeth was so tired that she fell asleep without stopping to notice her creepy tinker toy. It was still sitting on her bed side table.
Day Three of the Pregnancy- Thursday:
The last day was eventful and joyous for Elizabeth. It started off easy and happy, and then ended with a bang.
Elizabeth woke early at 6:30 a.m. to find herself shivering. "It is freezing!" Elizabeth whispered to herself while, essentially, running downstairs. Elizabeth was shivering so much that she did not trust herself enough to cook. "Left overs it is", Elizabeth said while pulling the French Toast out of the fridge. "Thank you for breakfast mom", Blake said before taking a big bite. "Your welcome", Elizabeth said while taking a bite of her own, "I just don't understand how you are not freezing." "My body temperature runs very high", Blake said between bites, and then while seeing that Elizabeth was shivering added, "I must get it from my dad." Elizabeth just laughed before shoving another bite of food into her mouth.
"Hey Mom?" Blake asked nervously when Elizabeth got up to put her dish away. "Yes Blake?" Elizabeth answered not thinking about how serious her son's next question was. "Who is my dad?" Blake asked while pushing the left over food around on his plate. "Zane is", Elizabeth answered, still not thinking clearly, "You know that." "No", Blake said while finally turning to look at his mom, "I mean who is my dad? Is it Zane or Daniel? Cause Zane is the guy who brought me into the world, but Daniel is the one who comes around and I have to go and call him 'Dad'. It is just confusing!" Elizabeth was a little surprised at just how worked up Blake had just gotten. She had never thought of this as becoming an issue before. "Of course not, Blake is the first child from my challenge who's biological dad isn't Daniel", Elizabeth thought to herself while scratching the back of her neck as usual. Elizabeth was left speechless; what was she supposed to tell him?
Elizabeth finally went over to Blake as he was getting up from the table. "Here give me a hug", Elizabeth said while leaning down to put her arms around Blake. Then when Blake finally loosened his grip on Elizabeth's neck she said, "Zane is your dad... but so is Daniel. I know it is confusing, and I am sorry for that, but just think of it like an adoption. Zane is your biological father and Daniel is your adoptive one. Now, that does not mean that Zane doesn't love you. It just means that you have two dads that love you equally." Elizabeth watched as Blake took everything in and prayed that he would understand the situation.
  After Blake left for school, still a little flustered, Elizabeth went upstairs to get Spear up. "Hey cutie", Elizabeth cooed while tickling Spear. As his little giggle filled Elizabeth's mind she started to think, "What happens if Spear does not understand the challenge like Blake? What if he does not want Daniel to be his dad?" Elizabeth was still lost in thought and worry as she got Spear ready for the day they had ahead of them. 
Elizabeth decided that she needed some air; and after the spa visit yesterday, Elizabeth wanted that air to be 'fresh'. So Elizabeth went to the park with Spear. She watched the butterflies flying around and was mesmerized.  She sat in the park for an hour; she did not think or speak, she just sat there watching the butterflies fly. When she was little Elizabeth used to wish she could fly. To be able to be in the clouds, away from her parents, was a dream come true for Elizabeth.
Even though Elizabeth could sit at the park for days on end she had to get up and move. Spear was not enjoying the park like Elizabeth was. So she decided to go run an errand and went grocery shopping.
When Elizabeth got home it was 1:03 p.m. and Spear was even crankier than he had been at the park. So Elizabeth laid him down for his nap and then she went and paid some bills. "$1,514", Elizabeth gasped when she saw the amount of money she had to pay, "The kids must be leaving the lights and stereos on when they go to bed." Elizabeth was putting the last of the bills into the mail box when her stomach let out a loud growl.
Elizabeth reached into her backpack and pulled out a watermelon. She was getting a little sick of them, but she really wanted a girl this time around. "Down the hatch it goes", Elizabeth laughed to herself while taking a bite. 
Elizabeth was headed to the back yard to do some gardening at 3:09 p.m. when a contraction started. "Ow", Elizabeth said while holding the spot where the pain originated from, "Ow... OW!" She must have been louder then she thought because Mica came running out the back door and started towards her, "Are you okay?" "I'm in labor", Elizabeth said, kind of stating the obvious, "Could you watch Spear?" "Sure Mom", Mica said happily while helping Elizabeth to her car.
Elizabeth, after much pain, finally got to the hospital around 3:40 p.m. "Thank goodness", Elizabeth said, relieved, "I do not think I could take anymore." Elizabeth got situated in her hospital room and waited... and waited... and waited but Blue never showed up. "Mam?" the doctor said through his surgical mask, "We cannot wait any longer." Elizabeth took one look at the door and then, as yet another contraction hit, said, "You don't have to tell me twice."
Elizabeth finally made it out of the hospital just as the sun began to set. Elizabeth shivered while squinting into the late afternoon sky. As Elizabeth was walking toward the taxi, which was waiting very impatiently for her, she heard one of her little babies starting to cry. Elizabeth smiled as she peaked into the carrier, "Just one moment my little basket of blueberries, we will be home soon."
Once Elizabeth got home she went straight to the living room, which was the warmest room in the house, and put her little blue baby girl into her crib. "Welcome home baby number eight: Lilac (Berry) Reting", Elizabeth said as Lilac closed her eyes sleepily. 
Elizabeth reached eagerly into the baby carrier and picked up her other beautiful little girl. "Happy birthday baby number nine: Violet (Berry) Reting", Elizabeth nearly sang as Violet stared wide eyed at her mother.
"Do you know what today is?" Elizabeth asked excitedly to Violet and to the other children. When no one answered she lowered Violet closer and gave her a kiss.
Then Elizabeth turned to look at Mica, "It's Christmas eve!" "Christmas eve? We nearly forgot!" Mica said panicking and moving about the room not knowing what to do.
As the house was in chaos Elizabeth stepped out to check the mail again. "Hmm... Bill, bill, bill... Letter?" Elizabeth asked herself curiously while inspecting the envelope closer. Elizabeth's mind skipped back to all the letters she had received earlier. None of the letters Elizabeth had ever gotten gave her good luck. So you could understand Elizabeth's nervousness as she opened this letter.
Elizabeth was getting cold and started to shiver. She slowly opened the folded piece of paper that the letter contained with her, now numb, fingers and started to cautiously read:


Dear little Sis,
          I know it has been a long time since we last spoke but I have great news... I got married. I know I should have told you sooner, but hey what are big brothers good for other then annoying their little sisters? Nothing, that is what. Anyways, I just wanted to tell you that I miss you and sorry the letter is so short. Why not come over for dinner? It would be great you'll love your new sister-in-law.
                                                                                                      I love you,                       
                                                                                                  Jay                              

Elizabeth stopped when she read who the letter was from. "Jay? My brother? After all these years? We had gone through so much together..." Elizabeth thought as she shook out the envelope and two pictures toppled out. 
Seeing her brother made Elizabeth's childhood memories come flooding back. "I miss him", Elizabeth sniffled as she started to cry from all the suppressed images she had flooding her mind. "I cannot believe I haven't even thought of him in months..." Elizabeth wiped her last tear as she walked inside, "I haven't even told my kids about my past."
Elizabeth walked into the living room just as Mica helped Blake put the last ornament on the tree. "Perfect!" Mica said as they all stepped back to admire their hard work. "Mom?" Mica asked turning to Elizabeth, "Have you been crying?" "Yup", Elizabeth said honestly while watching Spear play with his toy. "Why?" Blake asked after a moment of silence."I just realized something", Elizabeth said while starting to stare into the lights on the tree. "What?" Mica said, hoping that her mom would get to the point. "I need to tell you all something", Elizabeth said still in a daze and staring at the tree. "What?" Mica said again.
"I need to tell you all about my life as a kid", Elizabeth said as snow started to pile up outside, "I need to tell you all why I am the way I am."

7 comments:

  1. I loved it! Best post so far! :D I love the ending when Liz got the letter from Jay and I love how you added the perfect ending of sharing your childhood! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz this was awesome! You are truly an amazing blogger :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They Keep Getting Better and Better Liz!!! Keep Up the AWESOME work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post! :) pleaseeeeeeeee make it work with daniel!! haha :) Calista is SO pretty!


    Check out my challenge as well :) http://catherinebell100challenge.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Do you have Calista and Jenna on the exchange by chance??? email me at 100babychallengehr@gmail.com

    Your really good!

    ReplyDelete